The History of the Delco-Remy Divsion of General Motors
A.K.A. "The Remy Brothers" or "The Remy Electric Company"
1896-1994
Delco-Remy at the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944   Our War Job

Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links
 

 

Batteries    Delcotrons    Heated Windshield   Heavy Duty   Horns   Ignition   Magnequench   MISAR   Missile Battery   Propulsion Systems for Electric Vehicles   Regulators    Shock Absorbers  Starters   Switches

Products
Ignition


The Ignition Product Line 1991.  From the top is a 88mm six cylinder HEI distributor which would be paired up with the High Efficiency Coil below it as would the four cylinder 72mm HEI distributor at the left.  In the lower left is a Integrated Coil Electronics (ICE) which combines the coil and electronic drivers for each cylinder in one package.  Next to it is a six cylinder Direct Ignition System which was built in Anderson Plant 20, along with the Quad 4 Integrated Direct Ignition (IDI) system in the upper right hand corner.  The Quad 4 Ignition, included both the coils and the ignition module under the Al die cast beauty cover and the whole unit fit directly on the sparkplugs, eliminating the plug wires.  Gene Phillips Photo.


This clipping is out of a 1903 issue of Gas Engine Magazine.  Courtesy of Brian Mulcahy


A typical Remy Electric Magneto ignition system from 1914.  Magnetos were a battery-less ignition system but were on the verge of being replaced by newer battery powered ignition systems for ground transportation.  Magnetos are still used in aircraft today.  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


April 27, 1922 Distributor ad.  Photo courtesy of Brian Mulcahy.


This Remy Tagged six cylinder distributor is the oldest found on public display.  It can be seen at the Augbun Cord Dusenberg Museum in Auburn, IN.




High Energy Ignition introduced on 1974 GM vehicles.  Gene Phillips photo.


  Gene Phillips photo.


Gene Phillips photo.


Gene Phillips photo.


 Gene Phillips photo.


Gene Phillips photo.


Gene Phillips photo.



Gene Phillips photo.


Gene Phillips photo.

 

 

 

 

Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links

This Website has no affiliation with General Motors, Delphi Holdings or Remy International.  The content is to only present a historical perspective of the plants and products of the former Delco-Remy Division previous to 1994.  All content
presented on this website is for general information only.   Website designed and maintained by David D Jackson  2010-2013.  
Contact:  David D Jackson